Fall 2021 orientation activities:
|June 24 - Sep. 9||Bootcamp faculty talks (online)
Thursdays at noon throughout the summer
|July - Sep||Campus-wide new graduate student orientation (online & optional in-person)
There is an online course on Canvas for all new graduate students to do (July-Sep); in-person social events Sep. 8-10; and more events may be announced
|Sep. 8-20||Campus-wide new international graduate student orientation (online & optional in-person)
Two sessions are mandatory for all new foreign graduate students; see detailed info on these sites. There are also optional in-person socials on Sep 13-14.
|Sep. 13-17||BISB Boot Camp (online)
Opening Talk by Program Chairs Sep. 13, 10-10:30am
|Sep. 21||UCSD Stuart Collection Scavenger Hunt & Campus Tour (in-person)
|Sep. 21||New Cohort Welcome Lunch @ Dirty Birds (in-person)
|TBA||Campus-wide new IA Teaching Sympoisum
For BISB, usually applies to 2nd-3rd year students, not incoming students. Last year's links may be replaced, TBA.
FA20 links (old): (Flyer) (Schedule/registration)
|Jan. 14, 2022||BISB Exchange
Some years this is part of orientation, but this school year it will be January 14, 2022.
The week-long boot camp for incoming first-year students of the Bioinformatics and Systems Biology Graduate Program aims to:
- Introduce the doctoral program, the University of California, San Diego, and the greater San Diego area.
- Foster community and collaboration among students of the incoming cohort and with senior students.
- Convey expectations for the core curriculum and elective courses, while reviewing basic concepts to remedy deficiencies.
- Showcase student and faculty research, while guiding students in preparing for their research rotations.
- Review strategies for choosing a thesis advisor, navigating a PhD, and preparing for a scientific career.
In addition to boot camp, new graduate students should also attend various campus-wide orientations:
- New Graduate Student Orientation (mandatory for all new graduate students)
- International Student Orientation (mandatory for all new international students). Follow the link for information on registering and what to bring.
- TA orientation and training (mandatory for all new TAs; usually 2nd-3rd year for BISB students):
- In September, there are campus-wide teaching assistant orientations by ASE and The Commons, usually announced by email rather than a website link. Sometimes these are repeated other quarters. These are for students doing their first TAship that school year; other programs have TAships in the first year, but BISB students typically do their first TAship their 2nd-3rd year.
- Throughout the school year, The Commons has many workshops and other programs available for graduate student TAs.
Fall 2019 orientation activities (last one pre-pandemic; keeping it up for now for reference):
|Sep. 10||Campus-wide new graduate student orientation|
|Sep. 16-20||BISB boot camp (schedule) in SSPPS 1160|
|Sep. 19-20||Campus-wide new international graduate student orientation|
|Sep. 23||Bootcamp Challenge Ropes Course at UCSD Forest|
|Sep. 25||Campus-wide new teaching assistant orientations by ASE and The Commons (for BISB, usually applies to 2nd-3rd year students, not incoming students)|
|Sep. 25||BISB Exchange at Sanford Consortium, Roth Auditorium|